Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

2nd Lesson on F-stops: Shallow Depth of Field.

A while ago I had a visitor who was wanting to know more about when to use f-stops. I covered what f-stop to use when taking a landscape(f/11-f/22).  Now I am going to show you when you want to use a larger aperture.  The photo below was taken using f/2.8. Some lenses will not have f/2.8. The might only go to f/4. If you have a camera that has f/4 as the largest aperture, substitute f/4 for f/2.8.  Anyway this is my little boy holding grass (not the kind you smoke) ha ha ha. I used f/2.8 because I wanted to throw him out a focus and bring attention to the grass he was holding. So, when you want attention brought to a subject and you want shallow depth of field, use a large aperture like f/2.8 -f-5.6. The resulting style is sometimes referred to as Bokeh.
Just for some basic info, when shooting a portrait of a person, most pro photographers use f/8. Why you ask? Because f/8 gives enough depth of field to cover the head of a person and throw the background out of focus. Hope you liked this tutorial. If you have any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Remember to bookmark this page so you can come back often. Thanks :)



you can click on the photo for a larger version.

No comments:

Post a Comment