Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Who to Ask for Help and Who to Avoid: Not All Photographers Are Friendly.

Just a quick thought.  Most photographers are very friendly and will share all the info they can with you.  They are happy to share the tricks of the trade. I am one of these photographers.  It makes me feel good to think I can help others become better photographers. But, there are certain times when you don't want to ask a photographer for advice or information.
Never ask for advice from a local portrait photographer. Some are friendly, most are not. Most of the time, if they think that you might take away business, they will either give you bad advice or they will get upset.
Digital photography has caused a lot of pro photographers to lose business. Digital cameras have made it easier for the masses to learn photography.
A lot of pro photographers get upset when they see novices with digital cameras start shooting weddings and portraits.
I had a run in with a photographer in a group I had joined on stock photography. I asked a simple question and this high and mighty photographer thought it was his responsibility to slam me.  It wasn't nice and I think the reason he did it is because he sees photographers like me as a threat to his income.
The whole point is that you need to watch where you get your information and who you ask for help. Especially when you might take business away from that photographer. Always err on the side of caution.  In this economy pros are working hard to get all the business they can. They can't afford to lose any business and will do whatever they can to get as much of the pie they can.
Let me know if you agree with me.

I always try to find a photo that goes along with the post, but I could not find one that fit with this post so I have included a photo of my family's jack-o-lanterns.


No comments:

Post a Comment