Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Going 75mph

Have you ever been on a trip and driving down the highway when you see a great photo.  So you take the picture and it doesn't look good.  Well, here are some tips to help you get better shots.

Tip #1  Don't be in the drivers seat, be the passenger.

Tip #2 Use a fast shutter speed to avoid blur in your shot.

Tip#3  Don't use a wide angle lens. Use a medium to long telephoto lens. This way you will be able to focus on objects in the distance and cut out the foreground.

Tip# 4 Watch for signs and objects that will take away from the pleasing look of your picture.


Here are a few examples of photos that I took on a recent journey.










Below are some photos that didn't turn out so well.




I didn't see the sign until it was too late.




I find the foreground in this photo distracting.



This is what happens when you use a shutter speed that is too low.  You should use as fast as a shutter speed as possible. On the photos that turned out good I used a shutter speed of 2000.

Next time you are on a road trip and not driving, look of interesting photos and use these tips so you can get some great shots.  Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Happy shooting!!!!




6 comments:

  1. Where was this article a few weeks ago when we were traveling?! Actually, my husband got used to warning me when we were approaching a sign but I still got a few. Good to know, I did exactly what's recommended, now I just need more practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina. Thanks for checking out my blog. Sounds like you need to take another road trip so you can practice more;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! You talk about details I didn't attend in the past, from now on I will have this srtuff in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! When my husband and I go somewhere the passenger always has a camera in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. any idea on how to avoid the window's reflection when shooting through it? Well, except for opening the window of course! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually yes. It takes a little bit of trial and error, but move your lens closer to the window. This usually works. Also, try different angles. A polarizer will also help. But, as you mentioned above, the best way to avoid reflections is to simply roll down the window. Thanks, and I hope this helps!

      Delete