Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Jennifer

Three days ago I received a message from Jennifer. I did not know her. Today I spent 2 hours just talking and photographing her. She is 51. In her life she has been a model, a photographer, a dancer, a geologist, a mother, a daughter, a wife, and a sister. She found out a week ago that she has Stage 4 masticular Cancer that started in her right breast and now has spread to her lymph nodes, her spine and her liver. She messaged me because she wants me to document her life from this point on. The chance of survival is 2% in 4 years. She doesn’t know how long she has. She was very adamant about shooting nudes. She wants to feel beautiful. I understand.
I just returned from our first shoot and I have so many different emotions. There is fear and sadness and also gratitude and concern. 
I’ve never shot documentary style photography and it’s not going to be easy. I don’t want to see her go through what I know she’s facing but I also want to give her whatever she needs so that she can feel loved. I want to create something she will be proud of and something someday I can give you her children. 
This is new territory for me and I don't know what to do so I am following my own advice. This is the advice I tell my students. I am reaching out to professionals in the industry. I want to do the best I can and sometimes I need help. I need help from people that know more about this than I do. 
We plan to meet once a week and more if needed. 
I have posted more of the images on my Tumblr page. Be aware some are not safe for work. 
Update: Quite a few have already asked if you can make donations to help Jennifer and with the cost of the documentary. If you can help here is the link!. Thank you so much!

So here we go. This is the start. 
April 26th 2016
-Ikon
 photo 8520835606_0607175852_c_zps0de39499.jpg
This is me! Ikon
I teach classes at Salt Lake City School of Photography. Check out my website and take a class or workshop or even better, join me on a trip!
Salt Lake City School Of Photography                                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment